And now a word about the Jenkins DNS debacle
Now that things have settled down, I’d like to address what happened during the jenkins-ci.org DNS outage I discussed here.
Long story short, some poor assumptions caused a lot of trouble while switching registrars away from GoDaddy.
First let me explain the motivations for moving from GoDaddy: aside from the SOPA issue, I’ve always hated dealing with GoDaddy. The have had an absolutely shit product for a long time, but as a long time customer, momentum was quite a limiting factor. Before my involvement with the Jenkins infrastructure, I would have only used GoDaddy once or twice a year.
Since becoming the driving force behind a lot of the Jenkins back-end, I’ve had to deal with them once or twice a month, and everytime I would be bombarded with upsells, ads and other shit that I wanted no part in. With the renewal of jenkins-ci.org coming up in January, it makes sense to switch registrars before I renew the domain for 5 years (which I will be doing).
The SOPA boycott is just gravy on top.
As for the “DNS debacle”, here’s a quick bulleted list of what happened:
- Jenkins used GoDaddy’s DNS service, when the GoDaddy side of the domain transfer was complete they canceled the DNS service and seemingly zeroed out all our DNS records.
jenkins-ci.orgnameservers, which are generally copied over when switching registrars, were set to GoDaddy’s nameservers prior to the transfer (mistake on my part).
- What I had assumed would automatically take effect once the transfer was complete on Namecheap’s side, did not take effect. In fact, somehow the data I had entered in was obliterated when GoDaddy’s nameservers were copied over.
- I’m not good at writing zone files, and the most subtle mistakes were easy to slip past those who I asked to review them. Zone files are the devil.
Instead of focusing too much on the colossal screw-up, I’d like to focus more on what positive has come out of the situation.
jenkins-ci.orgis now with a registrar that isn’t commonly accepted to be “freakin’ terrible”
- To mitigate the downtime people were experiencing, I quickly set up what I presumed would be a temporary nameserver on one of our machines colocated with the OSUOSL.
- Instead of taking that nameserver down, I’ve actually promoted it to become
ns1.jenkins-ci.orgwhich is wholly powered by our Puppet manifests. Now anybody in the community can submit a pull request to add records to our zone file and we can approve and deploy it all from GitHub via Puppet.
- While working on DNS, I noticed that
iptables(8)wasn’t properly configured on some of our hosts. We’ve since bundled the firewall module from Puppet Labs in our repository and set up the appropriate rules on all hosts to lock them down.
I could vent about the idiocy of the DNS system, how much I abhor GoDaddy, or a myriad of other issues that had to be resolved in these past two days, but that wouldn’t be very useful.
Despite the amount of time consumed in the affair, I think the project comes out ahead and stronger, and at the end of the day that’s what is really important to me.